Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Megan Shepherd Takes the Dare

I am thrilled to be the second Mystery Author revealed here on the blog! When the Friday the Thirteeners first contacted me I thought, what better way to combine my tolerance for humiliating myself with my love of young adult literature? Clearly, it’s a match made in heaven, and getting to know these talented ladies has been a pleasure.

What HASN’T been a pleasure is picking a truth or dare from all the submissions! You guys are apparently a highly creative and slightly sadistic bunch, which makes me encouraged about the future of the YA literary community. So, inspired by Erin’s post last week about her publisher’s cover design process, I chose a dare submitted by Jessica Ball:

Design an original cover for your book.

Let me clarify, in case it's somehow not clear, that this is NOT THE REAL COVER. The real cover won't be designed for a few more months and will be totally awesome, aka, nothing at all like these. Even though, you know, I took a four-hour Photoshop class about two years ago, so clearly I’m totally qualified for this kind of thing.

Get ready. You might need blinders. Ta-da!




Thanks for the great dare, Jessica! Because this was my first truth or dare, and inspired by our Thirteener name, I’m giving you either a $13 Barnes and Noble gift card or (if you are a writer) a 13-page critique. Email me at fridaythethirteeners[at]gmail[dot]com and let me know which you would prefer.

Keep submitting those great truths & dares, everyone! You can submit them here.
_________________________________________________________________

Megan Shepherd is a young adult writer living in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. Her debut novel, THE MADMAN’S DAUGHTER, comes out in early 2013 from Balzer+Bray/HarperCollins, and is the first in a Gothic thriller trilogy. She’d love to hear from you at her blog, Twitter, Facebook, or on Goodreads.

20 comments:

  1. Nice job! Nice humility. I think your publisher is totally going to dig those covers. And I didn't know about the reversible book jacket thing, which is actually kind of cool...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ACROSS THE UNIVERSE and THIRTEEN REASONS WHY are two covers I can think of right off the bat that have reversible book jackets. It's a cool little trick!

      Delete
  2. Great job on the covers! I like the mysterious lurking figure on the girl cover, but the boy cover would probably draw my attention more in the bookstore. I've never been a fan of romance covers. :-) I do like the idea of reversible covers, though! Very cool. Your book sounds very intriguing ... 2013 is going to be a good year for reading! (Love that your cat had to make an appearance in the background of your video)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't realize my cat photo-bombed the video until I'd watched it a few times :) She likes her 15 seconds of fame.

      Delete
  3. "This shirtless man has been in a little bit of a scuffle" Bah ha ha. Awesome! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny :) Nothing like a good shirtless man.

      Delete
  4. Megan, that was *great*. I love the differences between the girl and boy covers because they are so on the mark. HOT CHICKS, snort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it weird that I'd probably gravitate toward the boy cover if they were in a store?? Not to say I don't have a few romance books with scandalous covers stashed around the house here and there :)

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad that you like subtlety in covers because yours is so subtle and brilliant. I love the historically correct top hat. The whole vlog made me laugh so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reversable covers is a thing now? That kind of blows my mind.

    Also, I would probably read a book with your "boy cover" on it. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dominique! I'd probably pick the boy cover too :)

      Delete
  7. My favorite bit is the awkward top hat on the shirtless man--to represent the historical accuracy of your book. Oh, that's funny. I really want to make one of these. I'd have a distasteful pic of a red, horned devil standing stupidly by the sea...with something BETWEEN them. It's offensively obvious. What's not to love about that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is pretty hilarious. Loved the subtlety and symbolism. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If your editor does not immediately choose this as your cover, then she clearly does not understand your remarkable artistic talent and deep thought. I mean, the top hat and lurking shadows? So beautiful and symbolic.

    Plus. HOT CHICKS. The guys will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lexie, I love that you picked up on the subtle symbolism. Clearly you are very deep and intelligent to understand it on all its levels.

      Delete
  10. "Who's this shadowy figure lurking back here? I don't know. Guess you're just gonna have to read and find out..."

    Amazing, Meg. Seriously. This cover is perfection :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that made my day! Especially with how dry you were in the video. It took until I saw the cover to realize that you were being silly. LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete